"A lip-smacking winter rib-tickler. Appropriately, it’s all cooked in one pot." Ed Smith, rocketandsquash.com
- 600g beef brisket in 3cm dice
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- Plenty of flaky salt & ground black pepper
- 4-5 tablespoons cold pressed rapeseed oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 500g beetroot, peeled & in 2cm dice
- 400g swede, peeled & in 2cm dice
- 330ml stout
- 250ml water
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- Leaves from 3 sprigs rosemary, picked & chopped
- 3 pickled walnuts (quartered) + 1tbsp pickle juice
- 3 cloves garlic, bashed
- 1 star anise
- 2 bay leaves
- 500g Maris Piper potatoes, in 3mm slices
- 25g salted butter, in thin slices
Heat the oven to 150C fan.
Dice the beef. Combine the flour, salt & pepper in a bowl & toss the beef in that.
Put the C1 casserole on a high heat, add 3 tablespoons of oil & wait 2 minutes until hot. Brown the meat in 2-3 batches, using more oil if necessary. While doing so, prepare the onions, beetroot, swede. Then, once the meat is browned, clear the pan, add a tablespoon of oil & the onions and soften those for 5 minutes. Return the meat, add the diced vegetables & pour in the stout. Let it boil for a minute, then add the water, tomato & aromatics. Remove from the hob, arrange the potato slices on top, add butter, then into the oven with the lid on for 90 minutes. Remove the lid, up the heat to 170C fan, & cook for 30-40 minutes more until the potatoes are golden & gravy bubbling through.
Serve with something green – kale, peas, brocolli.
Ed Smith, rocketandsquash.com